It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

Post subject: Congratulations & Cosmic Calabash
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2000 6:48 am 

I'd like to compliment the owner of this site (Nat?) for the fine work creating and maintaining this bibliography of a unique, humourous and humane author.
Two points of possible interest: My first exposure to RA Lafferty was a small collection of short stories, published as half of an Ace Science-Fiction Double(two books in one, those were the days!) and called, *if* I remember correctly "The Cosmic Calabash and Other Stories." It was published in the mid-60's I think, 1964 or 65. I can't remember much about it, the Calabash of the title is an alien space probe that ends up in a squash field and gets cooked! And there was a story which made reference to the mo-hole, a research project of the early 60's to drill into the earth's mantle, I believe. I *do* recall the stories were pure Lafferty, whimsical, original,with his distinctive style and language.
Do you know if much of Lafferty's work was adapted for other media? I know that his short story "Seven Day Terror" was made into a tele-play by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, I *believe* sometime in the early to mid 1970's. Do you know of any other adaptations? Again, thanks for a fine site.
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 9:47 pm 

Hi Ian

You know more than me. I didn't even know that there ever was an adaptation for TV of a Lafferty story. It would be interesting to watch it. As to the Cosmic Calabash, I never heard of that too. Maybe some other fan can help you ?

Cheers
Nat!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 4:30 am 

Well, the TV adaptation was many years ago; if you'd like I can see if it's still available, though I doubt it, it was done years before VHS/VCR..and if it is, I expect it would be expensive. But I can inquire, if you'd like..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 5:03 pm 

The Ace Double book with a story about a space probe that gets cooked, and the Mo-hole deep drill which may puncture the World Bubble and others featuring My Mad Friend (who tells the narrator these weird stories) is actually called Stranger Than You Think and is by the late G.C.Edmonson. The other half of the double was also by him and was called The Ship that Sailed the Timestream. But they are good, and I could almost believe Lafferty wrote them!