It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

Post subject: Annals of Klepsis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:01 pm 

I just finished reading this novel for the first time, and already it's one of my favorites. It's a relatively straightforward (by Lafferty's standards), easy to read effort, funny and strange and powerful at the same time (which, I realize, can be said about almost anything he wrote). This would be an excellent book to recommend to first time readers.

Here are a few questions that occurred to me.

1. What was Thorn's unspeakable sin? Was this merely a running joke, or did Lafferty expect us to guess what she did? I'm stumped.

2. The book has a copyright of 1983, but conventional wisdom has it that Lafferty effectively retired, for health reasons, circa 1980. Is the conventional wisdom correct? If so, when do you think that Annals of Klepsis was actually written? It seems to me to have more in common with some of his earlier work (like Past Master), than with the knottier, more difficult later works.

3. How many other novels and stories has Lafferty written that revolve around the concept of a sleeper who contains all existence within his mind? The example that comes to my mind is "The Story of Little Briar-Rose," but I'm sure there are others.