It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Post subject: Anecdotes of Lafferty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:49 pm 
This article http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue260/cassutt.html by Michael Cassutt has a nice anecdote with Lafferty:

Quote:
I was seated with friends at a convention perhaps 15 years back when an elfin man of 70-plus wearing a loud red shirt slowly worked his way past us in a hotel lobby. (He used a cane and was clearly having some difficulty walking.) "That's R.A. Lafferty," someone said. Lafferty sightings were rare at any time.

I wondered where he was going so often, so by and by, I got up and followed him.

He was going into the hotel bar, laboriously sitting down, having a beer, paying for it, drinking it, then, with some difficulty, removing himself from the stool and leaving the bar.

Only to return to repeat the process.

So I went up to Mr. Lafferty, introduced myself as a reader and a fan of his work, and had a marvelous chat. Finally, I had to say: "Mr. Lafferty, I couldn't help noticing that you've been going back and forth for some time, having a drink, then taking a walk. Is there some secret—?" "Oh, no," he said, with what I can only describe as a twinkle in his eye. "I just believe that gentleman don't linger in bars."

Post subject: Copied from the old board
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

<i>[This is with Roberts permission a copy from a mail I got. I thought you might be interested]</i>

I met Ray Lafferty at several conventions, and he did always seem to have a drink in his hand. One fan dismally noted after handing him an empty can of Foster's, "you can't autograph a beer can"; Ray often was dismayed that people held onto the "odd writing" and "drunk" as going hand in hand. Ray maintained he was quite sane, seeing and observing, with such clarity that it was disturbing to others. He never liked his addiction and was ashamed of it.

A clueless fan asking about his drinking, when Ray wasn't interested, got an angry earful.

Robert Whitaker Sirignano
18 Jan 2001
going over the falls