It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

Mulle kybernetiK Optimization

Forum for Optimizations around Cocoa and Mac OS X

Article 6: Optimized Hashing in Mac OS X

Discussion about the <a href="http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/artikel/Optimization">Optimizing Objective-C Article Series</a>

Article 6: Optimized Hashing in Mac OS X

Post by Nat! » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:57 am

Discusssion thread for this specific optimization article.

Optimized hashing Article leads to question!

Post by Nat! » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:26 pm

I got this inquiry from someone via private mail. Unfortunately the recipient apparently died, since he didn't answer my reply mail. Anyway I found it interesting enough to place it here.

well, in my project we are using a lots of <tt>NSDictionary</tt> and <tt>NSSet</tt> that basically store "records". Each of our records has a <tt>kGCMKUIDProperty</tt> (a <tt>NSString*</tt>) (inspired by the AddressBook <tt>kABUIDProperty</tt> ) that is created using the corefoundation function <tt>CFUUIDCreate()</tt> to create a "unique id" for this record :

Code: Select all

+ (NSString *) uniqueString
{
        CFUUIDRef uuid = CFUUIDCreate(NULL);
        NSString *uString = (NSString *)CFUUIDCreateString(NULL, uuid);
        CFRelease(uuid);
        return [uString autorelease];
}

now, to test equality of 2 records, i implemented the hash method like this :

-(unsigned int)hash {
return [[self valueForProperty:kGCMKUIDProperty] hash];
}

as you probably know, <b>CoreFoundation</b> uuid create string that looks like this :
<pre>CF0A031B-2136-11D9-8B70-000B95C34268
E3F45F04-2967-11D9-8092-000B95C34268
E9A382E0-2967-11D9-8092-000B95C34268
EF24F24B-2967-11D9-8092-000B95C34268</pre>

<tt>000B95C34268</tt> is the MAC address of my machine, <tt>-8092</tt> is IIRC the unique id of the current session (computer login time...) , <tt>-11D9</tt> i dont know and <tt>EF24F24B-2967</tt> is about the current time.

my question is basically this : you said that in <tt>NSString</tt>, lowest and highest bytes are really important, and in this case, higher bytes are strictly identical, and only lower bytes are different...

do you think it is "enough" ? i fear not, leading to slow <tt>NSDictionary objectForKey:</tt> calls....
can you advice me a new uuid ?

do you think i should use your "magic" hash method replacement? :

- (unsigned int) hash
{
   return( ((unsigned int) self >> 4) |
            (unsigned int) self << (32 - 4));
}

(i always fear using category on <tt>NSObject</tt> (Or even just on our records!) that touch a so low level problem)

Post by Nat! » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:43 pm

OK and now my reply.

First you have to think about your objects. What does isEqual: mean with respect to them ? As you are putting a UUID - of which not two can be the same - into each of them does that mean, that no two objects will ever be equal ? Or can two objects with the same UUID exist (possibly because they where fetched twice from some storage ?

If no two objects with the same UUID can exist, then you can implement the "magic" hash just for your subclass, you don't need to put it on NSObject. As your equality tests can be reduced to pointer equality testing.
This ought to be fairly optimal, as the spread is pretty good and the hash speed rules.

Otherwise you can rather easily test for yourself how good the hash is you are producing. I coded up this little tool:

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
#import <CoreFoundation/CoreFoundation.h>

NSString *newUniqueString()
{
   CFUUIDRef   uuid;
   NSString   *s;

uuid = CFUUIDCreate(NULL);
   s    = (NSString *) CFUUIDCreateString(NULL, uuid);
   CFRelease( uuid);
   return( s);
}         

static unsigned int  linear_test( unsigned int index)
{
   return( index);
}

static unsigned int  random_test( unsigned int index)
{
   return( rand());
}

static unsigned int  uuid_test( unsigned int index)
{
   unsigned int  hash;
   NSString      *s;

s = newUniqueString();
   hash = [s hash];
   [s release];
   return( hash);
}

#define RUNS   1000000
#define MASK   0xFF

void  test( unsigned int  (*hashGenerator)( unsigned int index))
{
   unsigned int   spread[ MASK + 1];
   unsigned int   i;
   unsigned long  total;
   unsigned int   mean;
   NSString       *s;
   unsigned int   hash;
   long           diff;

memset( spread, 0, sizeof( spread));

for( i = 0; i < RUNS; i++)
   {
      hash = (*hashGenerator)( i);

spread[ hash & MASK]++;
   }

mean  = (RUNS + MASK) / (MASK + 1);
   total = 0;           

for( i = 0; i <= MASK; i++)
   {
      diff = (long) spread[ i] - (long) mean;
      printf( "% 3d : %d (%d)\n", i, spread[ i], diff);
      total += diff < 0 ? -diff : diff;
   }

printf( "Deviation %d total, %d average\n\n", total, (total + MASK) / (MASK + 1));
}

int main (int argc, const char * argv[])
{
   NSAutoreleasePool   *pool;

pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

test( linear_test);

srand( 0x1848);
   test( random_test);

test( uuid_test);

[pool release];
   return 0;
}

The UUID hash you used is not too bad, it only gets around a 25% spread (by visual inspection of the output...) , but that shouldn't give pathetic performance. It'd be interesting to know the real life consequences, if you find a better hash.

thanks to Nat!

Post by altimac » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:33 pm

no i'm not dead, just in short vacation ;)

thanks to have put my email, nicely formatted, in your forum

First you have to think about your objects. What does isEqual: mean with respect to them ? As you are putting a UUID - of which not two can be the same - into each of them does that mean, that no two objects will ever be equal ? Or can two objects with the same UUID exist (possibly because they where fetched twice from some storage ?

my objects are unique.
currently 2 objects are equals if they have the same UUID. but as you said i could use address equality in that case

But i noticed, using shark, that inserting my objects in a NSDictionary (using the UUID of the object as a key) is "slow" (i thought that inserting objects in a dictionary should be fast if the copying of the key is fast (it is in my case for small string like UUIDs). )
Reading your has optimization article make me think that inserting a lot of (about 10 000 items) object in a dictionary can be slow if the hash method does not produce a large range of values.

The UUID hash you used is not too bad, it only gets around a 25% spread (by visual inspection of the output...) , but that shouldn't give pathetic performance. It'd be interesting to know the real life consequences, if you find a better hash

ok, i then conclude that the current hash method i use is good and not responsible for the "slow" NSDictionary insertion of my objects...

thanks to have confirmed that, i would not have been able to conclude that myself without your tool !

Re: thanks to Nat!

Post by Nat! » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:42 pm

altimac wrote:ok, i then conclude that the current hash method i use is good and not responsible for the "slow" NSDictionary insertion of my objects...

thanks to have confirmed that, i would not have been able to conclude that myself without your tool !

I wouldn't go that far, this is after all just my opinion and not gospel. You could for a test replace your hash temporarily with something like the linear hash or the "magic" hash and see if insertion speed differs a lot.

You could also post your Shark output - usefully trimmed here - for us to have a look.

altimac wrote:But i noticed, using shark, that inserting my objects in a NSDictionary (using the UUID of the object as a key) is "slow"

Hmm don't you mean insertion into a NSSet here ?

A little bird told me

Post by Nat! » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:46 pm

A little bird told me that in the new CoreFoundation the hash bucket number is indeed prime as coincidentally suggested by the article. I will work this into the article eventually as lazyness (or lack thereof) permits. But here's the news for now.

Post by Nat! » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:51 pm

Here's something else that I should work into the article just as a background. That is an elaboration why modulo prime hashing is usually far superior to binary AND hashing (masking).

If you have a number of buckets to address, lets say three or four, and you do an AND of 0x3, you only consider the entropy in the lowest two bits of your hash value.

If you do a modulo it's basically the same as a division, just with a different part of the result used. When you divide by a prime number, the modulo/division algorithms works all the bits into one value. 0x1000 % 0x3 gives 0x1 but 0x2000 gives 0x2. 0x10 % 0x3 gives 0x1 and 0x20 % 0x3 gives 0x2. And so on, you see that each bit is important.
Whereas 0x1000 AND 0x3 gives 0x0 and 0x2000 AND 0x3 gives 0x0 and it's no different for 0x10 and 0x20 and so on.

Now if your hashes have perfect entropy, that means that the bits in each position have the same likelyhood to be either 0 or 1, it doesn't make a difference if you use AND or modulo prime. There are only two bits to be used for addressing and if those bits are random, then the randomness of the other bits or lack thereof doesn't improve or worsen your AND masking hash addressing.

So if you're hashes are truely random AND would be a better choice, because the masking operation is faster than the modulo prime operation.

In real life, hash algorithms produce far from perfect hashes. That's why modulo prime wins.

Return to “Article Discussion”