It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: How I got here?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:26 am 

Well yeah! My maternal grandfather was Oliver B. Lafferty (U.S. Civil war, army and navy, 1861 to 1865) who could read and write, but did neither for the benefit of descendants. I stumbled on this site trying to connect him with anything genealogical, and succeeded in discovering RAL. No connection to the crowds of other Laffertys, or RAL either. I'm absolutely delighted with his short stories, and ordered the Indian book. The topic of "How I got here" should have some interesting posts considering that RAL is not exactly common fodder for general readers.

Post subject: Re: How I got here?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:58 am 

Many, many years ago, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (dinosaurs manufactured in Detroit), I was having a spirited discussion with my best friend's mother. I was holding forth with all the certainty and authority that the 18-year-old mind could muster about the future directions of Human evolution. She stopped me and placed a copy of the collection Nine Hundred Grandmothers in my hands with instructions to read "Ginny Wrapped in the Sun" before continuing the discussion.

Later in that same year, I stumbled across "Days of Grass, Days of Straw" in an old anthology. This is the one that made get up and start searching for every story of his I could lay hands on. The one that made me search for a mountain not quite reaching down to the earth and declare that if I win a day, it will be a Lafferty day, full of gushing life and greater depth!

Since then, I have battled the four creatures that beset Humanity (that malodorous worm in the middle) with Freddy Foley, fled the programmed killers with Thomas More, sailed the caribbean to avenge the Devil's death on an evil Neanderthal with Finnegan, and cried, trembled, and chuckled great shuddering gobs of laughter with Hannali Innominee.

I am well and truly hooked. Thankfully, there appears to be no cure.