It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:42 am

Post subject: Feast of Laughter - New Lafferty Fanzine
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 pm 

A group of us rabid Lafferty fans have just put together a new Lafferty fanzine called "Feast of Laughter" It is available from Amazon:
US: http://www.amazon.com/Feast-Laughter-Issue-Ktistec-Press/dp/0692324100/
UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feast-Laughter-Issue-Ktistec-Press/dp/d/0692324100/
FR: http://www.amazon.fr/Feast-Laughter-Issue-Ktistec-Press/dp/d/0692324100/
DE: http://www.amazon.de/Feast-Laughter-Issue-Ktistec-Press/dp/0692324100/
ES: http://www.amazon.es/Feast-Laughter-Issue-Ktistec-Press/dp/0692324100/
IT: http://www.amazon.it/Feast-Laughter-Issue-Ktistec-Press/dp/0692324100/

It is also available as a free PDF download at http://www.feastoflaughter.org/

This was a labor of love by 20 contributors, including stories by J Simon and Michael Bishop, essays by Andrew Ferguson and Eric Walker, original poetry, A cover created especially for us by Lissanne Lake, whose artwork graced many of Lafferty's novels, and "The Six Fingers of Time" by the man himself!

We are soliciting contributions for the second edition, scheduled for publication on March 18, 2015. The deadline for submissions is February 20, 2015. If you are interested in contributing, please email me at editor@feastoflaughter.org.

We are trying to secure the rights to another Lafferty story to include, and are soliciting content from other SF luminaries who are Lafferty fans. No word yet on any of those details, but I'll let all contributors and prospective contributors know as soon as possible. In the mean time, here is the table of contents from the Centenary First Edition, released on November 7, 2014 - Lafferty's 100th Birthday.

Happy Century of Lafferty everyone!

Feast of Laughter
An Appreciation of R. A. Lafferty
Centenary First Edition - November 7, 2014
Table of Contents

The Origin of the Feast - introduction by Kevin Cheek - 2
Talking About Talking About Lafferty - by Kevin Cheek - 6
Laffertography - by Rich Persaud - 7
A Few Words About R. A. Lafferty - by Eric Walker - 9
If You do not Love Words: The Pleasure of Reading Lafferty -by Elaine Cochrane - 24
An Interview with John Pelan - by John Owen - 38
Lafferty Deserves a Documentary -a call to action by Andrew Mass - 45
Aloysius Ascending - by David Cruces - 47
An Instinct for Friendship - by John Owen - 49
To Be Continued? - by John Barach - 57
Up Close, and in Particular - by Martin Heavisides - 62
Hillary Ardri and Jane Chantal Ardri - Illustration by Lydia Petersen - 66
The Epic of Man and His Friends or Slumming It With the Ontic Outcasts - by Daniel Otto Jack Petersen - 67
Aeviternity: R.A. Lafferty’s Thomistic Philosophy of Time in the Argo Cycle - by Gregorio Montejo - 102
Some notes on play, time and Catholic Social Teaching in R.A. Lafferty - by John Ellison - 115
O Golden, O Silken, O Mother-Loving World! - an original story - by Daniel Otto Jack Petersen - 126
The Prybar Spiel - by Noah Wareness - 146
The Woman Who Wondered What Onions Think - by J Simon - 154
Of Crystalline Labyrinths and the New Creation - by Michael Bishop - 169
The Six Fingers of Time - an essay by Andrew Ferguson - 195
The Six Fingers of Time - a review by Kevin A. Cheek - 199
The Six Fingers of Time - by R. A. Lafferty - 202
List of Contributors - 240

Post subject: Re: Feast of Laughter - New Lafferty Fanzine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 am 

You have made a sale in Germany ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:34 pm 

Nat! We'd really love for you to contribute to the next issue. Would you mind writing an article on the evolution of the Lafferty Devotional Page? As I say in my introduction, your site was the beginning of Lafferty fandom online.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:53 am 

Kevin, thanks, but first of all, there isn't much too write about, I can think off. And secondly I have currently too many projects going at the same time and not enough of said time. Maybe sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:51 pm 

Comments are welcome (?) but those about Lafferty's stories seem to be of a slightly more comprehensive nature than what we might see on other sites? So reading reviews and comments here, and on other Lafferty sites, prompts me to have some degree of caution for fear of adding fatuous commentary where the readers, and fans, are generally not lacking in literary competence.
As a longtime reader, like many others who read only as a pleasant pastime, I have, since my Tom Swift days, seldom looked up words in a dictionary, acquiring a sense of definitions from context. I now find that the more I read RAL, the more I find it necessary to consult reference to get full measure from some of the stories. I now have a large android tablet, recently purchased, on which I have open a dictionary, Wikipedia, as well as quick and separate access to search engines to clear up Lafferty's penchant for uncommon openers. I've been an avid reader since the fifth grade. I'm now halfway through my eighties, and that man used the English language in a way that delights, but sometimes confounds me. That says nothing about his reservoir of information, and use of unlikely plots.
In addition to epub and Kindle copies of the Short Stories, I received Okla Hannali as well as Issue #1 of Feast of Laughter. Tomorrow we will also be visiting a used book store on a lunch day with an old navy buddy. As a field engineer I had made it a practice to stop by book stores when going on jobs to different locations for over thirty years, and it's too bad I didn't look for Lafferty in those days.
(Feast of Laughter is difficult for me to read. The print is large enough but very light. I use a 40 inch HD TV as a computer monitor because of a vision problem. I'll download the pdf so I can make it bigger and more readable.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:42 am 

If you're looking for good, authoritative sources to write pieces for you, I would recommend the following.

Chris Drumm, who put out many booklets of Lafferty's stories, poems, and essays, is quite easy to get ahold of (and, if you don't own those booklets, he still sells them).

Second, the former owner of Coroborree (sp?) press, which put out many of Lafferty's small-run volumes, now owns and operates a store/publisher called DreamHaven. I have chatted with him about Lafferty and he is certainly an authority, having known the man in his prime. You can get in touch with Greg through the DreamHaven Books website.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:08 am 

Issue #2 is out!

You can download it from the site http://www.feastoflaughter.org/ or buy a printed copy from Amazon.