It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

Post subject: Lafferty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:42 pm 

Just want to let people know I've been writing a Lafferty blog for a while. Here's a great new introduction to his work that summarily links him into Dostoevsky, Chesterton, tall tales, mythology, vaudeville, carnival, New Wave s.f., Irish writing, regional American Southwest fiction, and more! (It's full of nice pictures too!)

Enjoy:

http://antsofgodarequeerfish.blogspot.c ... ferty.html

Regards,

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen
http://antsofgodarequeerfish.blogspot.com/
(my Lafferty blog - only one on the web!)

Post subject: Re: Lafferty blog!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 am 

Hey nice page! It looks like you put a lot of effort into it.
It totally went under my radar for now, I'll link
it up in my link section.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 pm 

Ah, thanks so much, Nat!

Post subject: Re: Your favorite Lafferty Short Story ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:53 pm 

Hi folks, I just wrote a wee piece related to this subject and thought people might like to read it. It's called 'From Drunken Binges to Wine Tasting: Reading and Re-reading Lafferty’s Short Stories' and found at my Lafferty blog:

http://antsofgodarequeerfish.blogspot.c ... sting.html

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Your favorite Lafferty Short Story ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 pm 

Hi again folks, (where is everbody?!)

Just wanted to link to a new post on my Lafferty blog - it's the first ever guest blog post:

http://antsofgodarequeerfish.blogspot.c ... thers.html

Andrew Ferguson has given a fine, brief analysis of the excellent short story 'Nine Hundred Grandmothers' that especially looks at Lafferty in relation to the pulp colonial sf tale preceding him as well as the New Wave 'inner space' (J. G. Ballard) context in which he emerged. Enjoy! This is hopefully the first of many guest blog posts (a few other folks are supposed to be working on brief introductions/thoughts on various short stories). Please feel free to contact me if you're interested in participating.

(Andrew Ferguson wrote his MA dissertation on Lafferty:
http://virginia.academia.edu/AndrewFerg ... _His_World)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:37 pm 

Hey Daniel,

lots of stuff to read. Great, I'll dig in over the holidays. It seems you have a lot more obscure stuff than I do, however I just bought a whole collection of chapbooks with short stories so that should catch me up.

Keep up the good work.

Harold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:56 pm 

woops, there you went off the rails in post number 3 or something.
"I honestly feel sorry for atheists and other ‘unbelievers’ who read Lafferty with pleasure. They must feel so guiltily tempted toward the (to them) dark side!"

Thanks for telling me how I should feel, I always have trouble with this. I might skim the rest later.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 pm 

Harold, I'm so sorry my attempt at some teasing humour toward those with a different worldview than mine was offensive to you. I sincerely apologise. It was really just a fun-having joke and I hear that kind of stuff (and things not so jokey) from atheists and others toward my Christian faith all the time on their blogs and websites. I'm not trying to belittle or start a fight. I think you'll find the rest of the blog is very generous toward all 'faiths' and there is room for robust dialogue from all parties without fear of condemnation - we can be frank and really challenge one another, but with total RESPECT.

I'd urge you to at least read Andrew Ferguson's post on the short story '900 Grandmothers' as his views are his own and do not necessarily reflect my own. I don't even know whether he is an atheist, Christian, or anything else. I welcomed his contribution to my blog on the basis of his love for and knowledge of Lafferty. As a fan of Lafferty yourself, you are very welcome to be there and to comment. Indeed, feel free to leave a comment on that post to the effect that I'm not being fair to atheists. That should be pointed out by readers publicly. Then I can acknowledge it there on the blog and apologise and try to clarify.

Regardless, thank you very much for reading and for giving me feedback here.

Best wishes to you,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 pm 

There is an incredible new blog on RA Lafferty called Continued on Next Rock. Check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:03 pm 

Nat! wrote:
There is an incredible new blog on RA Lafferty called Continued on Next Rock. Check it out.

And another, they are multiplying. :)

Check out Yet Another Lafferty blog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 pm 

Thank you for the reference! I had to make a decision about quality of writing before starting this blog. Daniel's "The Ants of God are Queer Fish" and Andrew's "Continued on Next Rock" blogs both have a very high standard of writing. I wrote one guest post for Daniel, and had to go through 3 drafts before I could have something well written enough to consider submitting to him.

I do not have enough time to maintain that quality of writing on my blog. Therefore, it is just a place for me to spout off my thoughts and opinions about Lafferty's writing. Please come by and add your own opinions and your reactions to mine. I'd love for it to become yet another place on the web for discussion about Lafferty.

Last edited by kevinacheek on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 pm 

I certainly appreciated your blog entry about the "plot" of The Devil is Dead. It's the first time I got a glimpse on what this was might have been all about. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 am 

Thank you. I would like to do a similar post on Fourth Mansions some time in the near future. As I have stated frequently, Fourth Mansions is by far my favorite novel. A lot of people are mystified by the book, and that mystifies me. Perhaps I had read enough SF about paranoia and conspiracy, or perhaps I had read enough deliberately symbolic prose fiction over the years that the plot seemed instantly clear to me.

The Devil is Dead is another matter. For me, reading the book was more like trying to recall a dream as the elements of it fall from my memory. It took until the 3rd reading before I discovered the plot. Now I wish Lafferty had written a sequel to it focusing on the story of Doll, the lady and representative of us normal, mortal humans, who took the upper hand in the last scene.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 pm 

Forgive the shameless self-promotion. I just added a post about Apocalypses: http://yetanotherlafferty.blogspot.com/
Come by and check it out.

Thank you,

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 am 

Have y'all been following Andrew Ferguson's very well-written blog, "Continued on Next Rock?" I have been really enjoying it, but Andrew, John Ellison, myself, and on rare occasion Daniel Petersen are the only people on the discussion threads.

It is here: http://ralafferty.tumblr.com/

All the best,

Kevin