It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

Post subject: More Than Melchisedech available
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:47 pm 

It was recently brought to my attention that More Than Melchisedech--the third volume of the Devil Is Dead trilogy--is now available as a print-on-demand book from a company called Lulu.

http://www.lulu.com/content/1163389

I placed an order already, but apparently there is a 10-15 day processing time, since they actually have to print each book on a case by case basis. This is probably for the best since the delay gives me an opportunity to reread Archipelago and The Devil Is Dead.

This is the best Lafferty news I've heard in several years; hopefully, we'll see lots more p-o-d Lafferty in the future.

Post subject: Re: More Than Melchisedech available
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:34 am 

Very, very good news, and I've got one today.
Thank you!

I found an original set of More Than Melchisedech at an On-line used book shop several months ago.
The price was $950!!!

This p-o-d version is only $26.1 (hard cover), or $15.63 (PB).
Every Laffertian must buy, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:17 pm 

I got it as three different Hardcover books: Tales of Chicago, Tales of Midnight and Argo. I don't think I spent more than $100 total on them. Is there really anyone paying big bucks for Lafferty books ? That'd be a late kind of recognition in a way ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:38 pm 

The book doesn't appear to be available on Lulu any more. Hope everyone got a copy who needed one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:37 pm 

Does anyone know where to get More Than Melchisedec now? Is not available anymore on lulu. I would like to collect it and possibly other Lafferty
novels. But some of them seem hard to find.

Thanks!
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 am 

Yeah, on Amazon there are two used books starting at $798. Fairly ridiculous. I can't really imagine anyone actually paying that much for it. It would be interesting if these prices are just made up, or if anyone actually ever bought a Lafferty book for that kind of money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:44 pm 

The problem with used book prices on Amazon is that an individual can list any price they want. There is no system to make sure the prices are reasonable or have any connection to the current market for the book.

A bit of illustration of Amazon used book pricing. The year Edward Abbey died, the prices of some of his books (especially collector's editions) spiked through the roof. Of course, prices eventually came back down to a rational level. Now I had an extra copy of the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Monkey Wrench Gang illustrated by R. Crumb and an extra 1st edition hardback of the same book. So about five years ago, I placed them for sale on Amazon, priced as they would have been the year Abbey died. Even though the illustrated edition was currently selling for around $35, I put it on for $149.99, figuring maybe someone would want it badly enough at some time when there weren't any other copies available. I promptly forgot about it. Then about 3 months ago, I got an e-mail from Amazon saying someone had just paid 149.99 for my copy, please ship within 3 days. WooHoo!

I think that's the issue with the ridiculously overpriced copies of Lafferty books on Amazon. Whoever is offering them for sale, really doesn't need to sell them, and is just curious to see if someone would be willing to pay a fantasy price with real money.

And if anyone wants a first-edition hardbound copy of The Monkey Wrench Gang, mine is still on Amazon, ridiculously overpriced at $425. I don't expect to sell it anytime soon.