Fourth Mansions 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Not to mention Camels 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Okla Hanali 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Past Master 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Space Chantey 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
The Devil is Dead (Trilogy) 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
The Reefs of Earth 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Your Favorite Lafferty Novel ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:15 am 

This poll will run forever. You must be registered to be able to vote.

It seems that I can only have 10 poll answers to the question, so some more obscure titles were left out.

[Update] Put in Annals of Klepsis on request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:36 am 

i would have to say my favorites aren't his longer works, althouth arrive at easterwine was great, but rather a large number of the stories anthologized in strainge doings and nine hundred grandmothers. like continued on next rock or the camaroi pta.

=^^=
.../\...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:42 pm 

Good point. I think I will rename this topic. So instead of favorite story, it will be favorite novel in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:38 am 

Although: for the past few years, we seem to have been living in the third part of the 3 Armageddons of Enniscorthy Sweeny. How else do you explain the political climate of the past couple of decades, and especially the last couple of years?

"So Final Armageddon was burning and raging out of control, and the World was ending.
"That's funny. The people didn't *act* as if the world were ending. But they didn't act quite as if it were going to continue either.
"They behaved as though they didn't very much care whether it ended or not."

Post subject: Short Story Poll
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:52 am 

Since RAL is perhaps better known as a short story writer it might be nice to have a separate poll for this category. Given that you can only have ten to vote from, I suggest the following few contenders to get the ball rolling and invite suggestions from others: Thus We Frustrate Charlemagne, The Man Who Never Was, Narrow Valley, One At a Time, Seven-Day Terror, Among The Hairy Earthmen, Eurema's Dam, Snuffles, Slow Tuesday Night, What's The Name Of That Town?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:25 pm 

I think anyone can open a poll on this board, you just need to create a new topic and in the bottom there should be an "add poll" feature. But I have taken up the suggestion, friendly admin that I am :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 am 

Quite a few fans of Lafferty say they don't care for his novels. I disagree heartily but chacun a son degout. My favourite Lafferty novel is The Three Armageddons of Enniscorthy Sweeney (which I see is quoted above), but Past Master, Okla Hannali, Fourth Mansions, Arrive at Easterwine, Not to Mention Camels, The Reefs of Earth and The Thirteenth Voyage of Sindbad are all a close second.
This might seem promiscuously appreciative, especcially when you consider that, on the evidence of what I've been able to read of them, any or all of the following:
Dotty, More than Melchisedech, Half a Sky, East of Laughter might belong on this list). Even so, I can go further than that. I doubt there are more than three Nobel prize winners whose body of work is more than Lafferty's would be if it were represented only by books I've left off that list because I consider them third tier; or ten whose work is as impressive.
What was I saying? Oh yeah: my favourite Lafferty novel is
The Three Armageddons of Enniscorthy Sweeney; and the ones that follow belong on any short list of his ten (or twelve, whatever) best.

Post subject: Re: Your Favorite Lafferty Story
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 pm 

Past Master, easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:34 pm 

Yeah, it took me a while to appreciate the novels as much as the short stories, but now I love them probably just as much. And, yeah, Apocalypses (Where Have You Been, Sandaliotis? + The Three Armageddons of Enniscorthy Sweeney) should be included in this list I think.

Arrive At Easterwine, Past Master, and Annals of Klepsis are probably my faves. Also really enjoyed Space Chantey and Apocalypses. Devil is Dead has grown on me. Reefs of Earth is the truly weirdest thing I've ever read. Really want to read it again - may end up being one of my faves.

Regards,

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen
http://antsofgodarequeerfish.blogspot.com/
(my Lafferty blog - only one on the web!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 pm 

Ah, just realised Annals of Klepsis isn't on the list either! That's a HUGE oversight! One of the best Lafferty reads.

-Daniel Otto Jack Petersen
(my Lafferty blog - only one on the web!)

Post subject: Re: Your Favorite Lafferty Novel ?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 pm 

There are two problems, first there are only 10 entries possible. Second when I edit them all poll results are lost :(

Maybe I'll set up a new poll sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:13 pm 

Annals of Klepsis and Serpent's Egg were both good and are not here, but I wouldn't have considered voting for them anyways. I would've considered voting for Three Armaggedons, but like The Reefs of Earth, Okla Hannali, and Alaric, it would've fallen just short to Fourth Mansions, which is incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 pm 

Just wanted to add that I've recently read Lafferty's novels Aurelia and East of Laughter and they're both excellent - in quite different ways. I really, really enjoyed them and recommend them. Aurelia in pace and setting feels a bit in the vein of something like Space Chantey meets Reefs of Earth, but totally different than those also. East of Laughter is just all round different than any other Laff I've read. It has a strong Fairy Tale or High Fantasy element to it, but in a world with computers and nuclear physicists - and its CHOCK FULL of tall tale whoppers.

-DOJP
(my blog dedicated 100% to Lafferty)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:33 pm 

Right now the Devil is Dead, not sure why. Im re-reading a lot of R.A.'s stuff.
Might have a new vote later!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm 

OK, I may be a little weird, but my answer is different depending on how the question is phrased:

Q: What is your favorite Lafferty novel?
A: Fourth Mansions is not only my favorite Lafferty novel, it is my favorite novel in any genre by any set of qualifications. I find it an immensely hopeful book. It gives me hope that in our troubled times (really in any times--they all seem troubled when you are living in them), we malodorous worms, we bumbling everymen, the everylouts have the possibility of stumbling the world forward to become a better place.

Q: What is the best Lafferty novel?
A: Okla Hannali is by far his best novel. It mixes history, tall tales, and immense beauty in a package that is equally fun, moving, and informative. Anyone who can finish the book both with dry eyes and not chuckling isn't fully human. This book deserves a permanent place on the bookshelf of great American literature. Would that it be more widely read and influential of more writers today and for untold tomorrows!

Other favorites (in no particular order):
The Fall of Rome
The Devil is Dead
Past Master
Space Chantey
The Three Armageddons of Enniscorthy Sweeny