It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:13 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Ancient Messageboard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 1997 11:00 pm 

Really nice to see this page. Thank you, zumdick, for creating it. {Fast proofing note: in MORE page, should be "Seems like you're"

Lafferty was a favorite of mine during HS and college in the late 60s-early 70s. No other voice in science fiction was that playful yet matter-of-fact about the casual brutality of the universe.

I wooed and won a college girlfriend partly through quoting a Lafferty Native American paen to her, something on the order of comparing her wonderfulness to the phosporescent guts of a dead coyote.

Thought his great first novel, Past Master, was simply a great novel, period. The audacity of taking Saint Thomas More as your narrator, and examining the vision of a utopian world that way ... breathtaking. And of course hilarious.

Space Chantey was also a favorite. Sort of Space Viking played for laughs in a way absolutely true to the spirit of some of the Norse sagas.

And a wonderful short story about how the Gypsies -- the Romany -- always said when asked where they came from, "They stole our land." Imagining it was true, stolen by space aliens. And what happened when the land came back ...

I saw Lafferty at the 1989 SF world convention in Boston, Noreascon III. Very old, fat, apparently quite ill. In the middle of a panel to which he had not contributed much, he had to go, and walked heavily, painfully, oh so slowly up the aisle while the panel played on. I was too shy to say a word to him. Still regret that, today and forever.

Bryan Cholfin of Broken Mirrors Press is a mad Laffertian, republished some of the work a while ago. Bravo to him, and to the creator of this page, and to everyone who contributes.

I haven't read any Lafferty in years. Must go back.

Let's keep the light alive.

Bob Devney
North Attleboro, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 1997 11:00 pm 

"Mad" am I! Well, yes, I guess. But I'm not the only one: Dan Knight, Chris Drumm, Steve Pasechnick have also gone broke trying to keep Lafferty in print. Now I'm trying to figure out how to do it with someone else's money...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 1997 11:00 pm 

Hi John Reilly

I got the "The Three Armageddons of Enniscorthy Sweeney" it is in "Apocalypses" by Futorian Science Fiction / Pinnacle Books. I haven't read it yet. (ISBN 0-523-40-148-5)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 1997 11:00 pm 

Was I shocked to find this web site! Though that was a rhetorical STATEMENT, the answer is YES! God Bless You for creating this site! I really thought I was the only one out there (well, not really, but I've never actually MET a huge R. A. Lafferty fan, or if I did, I never knew they were one). Anyway, I have read some novels of his (even the best ones tend to get quite a bit chaotic - I'm not complaining, mind you, but it's not like I can pull one out for a "light read," I have to prepare my mind for an all out attack of chaos first). I must admit, it's the SHORT STOIRES of his I love, and I mean LOVE!
These are the short story collections I have:

Nine Hundred Grandmothers,
Strange Doings,
Does Anyone Have Else Have Something Further to Add,
Iron Tears,
Lafferty In Orbit,
Slippery & Other Stories,
Heart of Stone, Dear,
The Man Who Made Models
Snake in His Bosom.

I am LOOKING for (anyone?)

Early Laffety 1 & 2,
Ringing the Changes,
Golden Gate & Other Stories
Through Elegant Eyes

I have access to an extra copy of Does Anyone Else Have Something Further to Add and Nine Hundred Grandmothers (paperback) to trade, and would consider trading my copy of Aurelia.

Also, if anyone out there would like to CORRESPOND to a fellow Lafferty fanatic, please feel free, I'd be way into it. Does anyone know, BTW, if Mr. Lafferty is contactable (oh, I know it's not a word) through mail or e-mail (don't worry, I don't plan on paying the man a visit, I'm not THAT fanatical!).

Anyway, thanks again for this website.

Love and Light to all,
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 1997 11:00 pm 

great page!!! i live in Holland, and at this moment i own 8 dutch Lafferty books, which i sealed in plastic to preserve them. i have some of those little copied books, like "my heart leaps up, dear". however, they are quite expensive to order in Holland. At this moment i am ordering some of his books via http://www.amazone.com, and barnes and noble. amazone has quite a lot of lafferty books, but the shipping time is verrrrrry long.... i am now trying to get a hold on every book i know of from Lafferty, but it is very hard.
I never met a Lafferty fan in my life, so you can guess i am very pleased to know i am not alone. If some of you guys/girls now where i can order books from Lafferty (other than amazon.com) then please let me know!!!!
Thanks for setting up this site!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 1997 11:00 pm 

Thought I'd share with you all the item that FIRST got me into Lafferty. I bought this book a few years ago called "The Reader's Guide to Science Fiction" - a paperback published in 1979. The bulk of the book is a HUGE chapter called: "If You Like Heinlein, Will You Love Van Vogt?" in which it goes alphabetically by well known science fiction authors and tells a bit about them, followed in parenthesis by other authors you'd like if you like them. This is what it had to say about R.A. Lafferty:

R.A. LAFFERTY is possessed-a madman, a wild talent. He has created a grammar and syntax all his own, virtually a language all his own, despite the fact that taken one by one all the words he uses are English. One simply CANNOT begin a Lafferty story and mistake it for anyone else's.
To detail the speculative elements or plots of his major novels would be meaningless, since plot, while undisputably present, has little or nothing to do with Lafferty's charm and appeal. The speculations are toss-offs, believable in context but not real extrapolation. His novels are: Fourth Mansions, Past Master, The Reefs of Earth, The Devil is Dead, Space Chantey, Arrive at Easterwine, The Flame is Green, Strange Doings, Not to Mention Camels and Apocalypses. They vary considerably, but the basic theme of Lafferty's work is power: mental, physical, or political. The end result of his style is the complete annihilation of the fabric of reality.
In Lafferty's world there are strange forces at work. Aliens studyng Earth life who know that the planet will kill them. A corporation that leases miracle-makers and god-effects. People who are identified only by the color of their auras. Mindweaves that cause earthquakes. Killing machines that are activated by treasonous thoughts or actions, as defined by the machine. Land masses that appear and disappear at whim. Umbrella men who can change reality.
Laffety's world is not always comfortable, since he takes particular delight in subtly twisting the meanings of word twisting the meanings of words. His world is ususally delightfully absurdist, and often bristiling with pins to prick the soap-bubbles of whatever you hold sacred. Lafferty is fun, sophisticated, and utterly insane.
(There is no one who writes like R.A. Lafferty, so if you like one of his books, find some more.)

I must have read that dozens of times - it definitely got me curious about him! I believe he was the ONLY author written about who didn't have a: if you like _______, you'll also like _______ following it...intriguing!

Anyway, as a last note, if there's anyone out there who has NOT read Lafferty's short story collection "Nine Hundred Grandmothers" - do whatever it takes to get your hands on a copy - it's AMAZING!

Love and Light to everybody,
Gary Bearman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 1997 11:00 pm 

I first encountered Lafferty in one of the Carr/Wolheim "best sf" collections more years ago than I want to calculate. The story was "Continued on Next Rock." Ever since then I have been collecting all the Lafferty I could find. I regularly make the rounds of the used book stores in Wichita (where I live) and buy any copies of any Lafferty I find, which I then send to nephews and nieces and intelligent friends. Used book stores, incidentally, are the best hunting grounds for Lafferty's mass market editions. I usually find a copy or two of "Nine Hundred Grandmothers" each year and occasionally some of his other Ace titles or "Ringing Changes."

The other good source for Lafferty's books is Chris Drumm Books, P.O. Box 445, Polk City, IA 50226-0445, phone/fax 515-984-6749, email cdrummbks@aol.com Book Catalog #108, the most recent, lists two copies of "Nine Hundred Grandmothers" and one of "Past Master."

Amazingly, I have had the good fortune to find three other living, breathing, Lafferty devotees. Two of them are close friends.

There is a fanzine devoted to Lafferty, "The Boomer Flats Gazette." It is the product of Dan Knight at United Mythologies press. I obtained my copies through Chris Drumm.

I'm glad to find this page. I'll be back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 1997 11:00 pm 

Sorry for the stupid advertisement that
springs up at the beginning. This is a new idea by Tripod, which I can not do much about. If they persist in this expect to see this homepage migrate shortly...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 1997 11:00 pm 

Luckily Tripod put the advertisement
back to its old place. So the page is
staying here (as long as tripod is
willing to host it).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 1997 12:00 am 

Hopefully by next year I can move this
page to a new provider w/o the stupid
advertising. Till then hang on, and please excuse the inconvenience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 1997 12:00 am 

"Three Armageddons" does indeed exist--I found a copy on the net for less than $5! Still haven't read it yet.

Does ANYONE know how to write to RAL? I don't want to bug him either, but it would be nice to let him know how much I appreciate his talent; being a writer myself, he has had a great influence on me.

E-mail or post here if you have info!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 1998 12:00 am 

hello!

i'm looking for the following lafferty books:

malicious mischief (and murder most strange)
early lafferty 1
early lafferty 2
four stories

to trade i have a copy of aurelia

besides that, I would just have to pay cash.

thanks much - just trying to finish out my lafferty short story collection collection

gary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 1998 12:00 am 

30.Jan.1997: Soon the homepage will move. I also hope to do a few updates shortly. I am still waiting on a huge package with Lafferty books. Unfortunately I have the feeling that it got lost in the mail... :( Argh!
I do hope not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 1998 12:00 am 

"In the Wake of Man: A Science Fiction Triad" is a hardcover book from 1975 edited (or maybe compiled) by Roger Elwood (though his name is not on the front cover) published by Bobbs-Merrill and containing three original stories. They are R.A. Lafferty's "From the Thunder Colt's Mouth" (86 pages), Gene Wolfe's "Tracking Song" (90 pages) & Walter Moudy's "The Search for Man" (52 pages). I doubt this was ever released in paperback. I read it once a while back and can't remember a LOT about it other than to say it's typical Lafferty - if you're a big fan, you'll like it. Love and Light to all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 2:46 am 

I just got "East of laughter" and it looks like there's a special edition out there with an extra story and an article by Gene Wolf. If anybody has that book and would be willing to xerox me the missing pages, I'd very grateful.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next