It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Post subject: Unknown Lafferty?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:15 pm 

My copy of Archipelago arrived in the mail a few days ago; hopefully, I'll have time to read it soon.

One fascinating--and tantalizing--discovery is that the book lists a number of Lafferty titles that have never been published. I'm curious to know if anyone has ANY information on the following titles.

Esteban
Mantis
Iron Tongue of Midnight
When All the World Was Young
To Aurelia With Horns [I assume this is the book published as Aurelia]
Dark Shine
In a Green Tree--a tetralogy
1. My Heart Leaps Up (1920-1928) [I think Chris Drumm published this,
or portions of it]
2. Grasshoppers and Wild Honey (1928-1942) [Again, maybe a Drumm]
3. Deep Scars of the Thunder (1942-1960)
4. Incidents of Travel In Flatland (1960-1978)
5. * ("For technical reasons, the unnamed fifth novel of this series,
running from 1978-1990, cannot be written yet" [ie, as of 1979,
when Archipelago was published])

As Aurelia With Horns indicates, it is certainly possible that some of these novels were published under entirely different titles. For instance. there is no mention of Serpent's Egg or East of Laughter. But the In a Green Tree series sounds especially interesting, doesn't it?

Post subject: IN A GREEN TREE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:52 pm 

In the back of first booklet of My Heart leaps Up it reads:
Quote:
IN A GREEN TREE is a four-part series of novels, comprised of My Heart Leaps Up: 1920-1928, Grasshoppers and Wild Honey: 1928-1942, Deep Scars of the Thunder: 1942-1960 & Incidents of Travel in Flatland: 1960-1978.

I happen to have five booklets which contain chapters 1-10 of "My Heart leaps Up". I don't know if that book is complete with this. I also have chapter 1 & 2 of "Grasshoppers and Wildhoney". They have all been published by Chris Drumm. I have started reading it, but somewhat like "The Flame is Green" I can't really get into it.

The cover contains also this note:
Quote:
IN A GREEN TREE comprises some 1042 pages and 361,000 words in manuscript. It is being published here for the first time as a series of booklets.

I have heard of "Esteban" and "Mantis", but I have no idea what they are. I have never even heard of "Dark Shine".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:19 pm 

I'd love to get my hands on the "My Heart Leaps Up" and "Grasshoppers" booklets. I really liked "The Flame Is Green," so I'd probably enjoy these too. Unfortunately, I don't think Chris Drumm is in business any longer; I tried emailing him via his website, but have never received a response. I'll have to go the used route, I guess.

By the way, if you ever have the time and/or inclination, you should consider adding a "rumors" page here, listing Lafferty books that have been mentioned but never published. I'd find something like that to be very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:20 am 

But isn't that just what we are doing here ?

Post subject: chris drumm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:14 am 
i know chris personally and i know for a fact he is in business, folks. just keep trying, he runs his bookstore out of his basement in Polk City,Iowa. It's a one man show, he has a kid in college, loves to exercise, and is notoriously slow in respoding. it will be worth it, but i cannot promise he will have all the lafferty chapbooks. he does carry quite a bit of ray's stuff so ask after anything he may have.

regards,

Rick

powerman5million@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:07 am 

Rick, thanks for the information. I actually went ahead and ordered a complete set of the "My Heart Leaps Up" chapbooks, but will try Mr. Drumm again sometime to get any other RAL titles he may have.

Nat, good point. We can start a list going here. That is, if there are any other titles.