It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

Post subject: Ray Lafferty died last night
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:00 am 

I am sorry to have to tell you that Ray Lafferty died last night in a nursing home in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, after an extended illness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:40 pm 

Since I never met Lafferty personally or even indirectly via mail I don't feel in a position to write a tribute or obituary or whatever, so please kind readers do not expect this on the website.

What would be really nice (as I am very much outside the literary / SF loop here in Germany) if you could send me anything that's written in the "mainstream" or SF press (if at all), to put it up here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:53 am 

I saw on the Locusmag.com site that he had died.
It is a great loss; I went home and re-read some of my favorite short stories - other friends from around the world were going to do the same...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:38 pm 

AP story which appeared in March 21, 2002, Daily Oklahoman follows.
>>>>>

Tulsa sci-fi author dies at 87
2002-03-21
The Associated Press

TULSA -- R.A. Lafferty, an award-winning and prolific science fiction author, has died in a Broken Arrow nursing home. He was 87.
The World Science Fiction Society gave Lafferty its Hugo Award in 1973 for his short story "Eurema's Dam."

He also won the 1995 Arrell Gibson Lifetime Achievement Award by the Oklahoma Department of Libraries for excellence in a body of literary work.

His other works include "Past Master," a novel published in 1968; "Okla Hannali," a historical novel published in 1972; other historical, science fiction and fantasy novels; and nearly 200 short stories.

Lafferty was born Nov. 7, 1914, in Neola, Iowa. He attended the University of Tulsa and was a longtime resident of Tulsa.

His funeral is planned Friday, said Crystal Urias, a spokeswoman for Fitzgerald's Funeral Home.

His science fiction novels included "The Reefs of Earth," "Space Chantey," "Fourth Mansions," "The Devil Is Dead," "Arrive at Easterwine: The Autobiography of a Ktistec Machine," "Not to Mention Camels, Apocalypses, Archipelago, Aurelia" and "The Annals of Klepsis."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:47 am 

I went to the funeral chapel to pay my respects to R.A. Lafferty. The one item there that was not part of the "standard" funeral things was the accolade that is on this board that was written by Robert Reginald. I considered it a matter of great respect.

I will be going to the funeral (mass) tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:17 am 

very saddened to hear of RAL's passing

I found this from the Science Fiction Writers of Americs - here http://www.sfwa.org/news/lafferty.htm

R. A. Lafferty (1914-2002)
Raphael Aloysius Lafferty passed Monday, March 18th, after an extended illness. The Funeral Mass will Friday, March 22 at 11:00 AM at Christ the King Catholic Church, South Quincy at 16th, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Internment will be that afternoon at 2:00 PM in Mount Carmel Catholic Cemetery in Perry, Oklahoma.

Lafferty was born in Neola, Iowa, but moved to Perry, Oklahoma at the age of 4. He didn't start writing until he was in his late 40s. His first published science fiction was "Day of the Glacier" which appeared in The original Science Fiction Stories in 1960. Over the next 20 years he wrote over 200 short stories and over 20 novels. At least 19 collections of Laffrey's work were published.

He stopped writing following a stoke around 1980 and following a more severe stoke in 1994 was very inactive. He spent the last years of his life in the Franciscan Villa Health Care Center in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

Lafferty's work won many awards including the Phoenix Award, the Hugo (1972 for "Eurema's Dam," World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement Award and the Arell Gibson Lifetime Achievement Award.

Posted March 20, 2002