It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

Post subject: R. A. Lafferty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 11:15 pm 

I knew Mr. Lafferty slightly when I lived in Tulsa. Mr. Lafferty always attended 7:30 AM Mass on Sunday at Christ the King Church. He lived 3 blocks away on St. Louis Street with his sister Pauline. He walked to and from Mass, and sometimes, if in the mood, would accept my offer of a ride. He was reticent, but did love to talk about travelling to SF conventions. He was as interesting to me as were his stories, and I am sorry I did not know him better. His stories were always touched by aspects of Oklahoma that might not be apparent to someone who never lived there.

I wanted to post this for anyone intersted. I am glad there is continued interest in Mr. Lafferty's writings, as he is the only SF writer that has held my interest over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 11:59 pm 

I used to go to Okon in Tulsa every year and was thrilled to see the writers who came, among them R. A. Lafferty. I did read and appreciate his works then, though not as much as now, and I've always regretted I didn't spend more time asking him about writing when I had the chance. His work is totally unique.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:21 pm 

It turns out that while I love Okla Hannali, I can't read his science fiction. Consequently, I have a hardback, and some paperbacks and chapbooks by Mr. Lafferty that I must part with. No reasonable offer refused.
Paperbacks:
Past Master, Nine Hundred Grandmothers, Ringing Changes, The Reefs of Earth, The Devil is Dead, Fourth Mansions.
Chapbooks:
Its Down the Slippery Cellar Stairs, Snake in His Bosom, The Man Who Made Models, My Heart Leaps Up (chapters 1-8)
Hardback: Not to Mention Camels.
Please respond to my e-mail address. Thanks, Fred S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:35 pm 

From the way that he is being referenced in these emails, am I to assume that Lafferty is no longer in the nursing home, but has passed on?